Pull-Up Skill Work
The pull-up is not a technical movement and so the inability to do one is a matter of strength, or lack of, not skill. In this article we offer two basic pull-up programs which will take you from zero to five strict pull-ups in a matter of weeks. All you need in dedication.
“Zero to Hero”
A 3-day/week program to bring you from zero pull-ups to one on any given day.
A 4-day/week program to bring you from one strict pull-up on any given day to five strict pull-ups.
The programs can be done in addition to our current programming and is expected to be performed after CrossFit classes. If you require assistance or explanation of the movements, please do not hesitate to ask a coach.
Zero to Hero
- 3 x 8-12 banded pull-ups.
- Accumulate 25 Ring rows. Move up 3-5 reps per week. If you can do more than 10 in any given set, increase the loading.
- Accumulate 25 Banded face pulls. Move up 3-5 reps per week.
- 5 x 5 Assisted Pull-up
- 3 x 8-12 Barbell Curl
- 3 x 8-12 Barbell Row
- 5 x 3-5 banded pull-ups.
- 3 x ME Hang. Rest 1:00 between efforts.
- 5 x 5 Assisted Pull-ups
- EMOM for 5 minutes: 1-3 Strict Pull-up. Every week, try to get more pull-ups/minute or increase rounds. Do not exceed 10 minutes.
- Develop Kipping
- Accumulate 1:00 of hollow hold/rocks. Before and after, perform a set of ME pull-ups.
- Tabata: Kipping Pull-ups
- Accumulate 25 Banded Face-pulls
- Develop Kipping Pull-up technique.
- 3 x 10-12 Barbell Curl
- Accumulate 1:00 of hollow hold/rock.
- 4:00 AMRAP: Strict Pull-up. Add 1:00/ week.
- 3 x 1 Pull-up with 3-4 second negative. Increase by 1 rep/week.